Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Typhoon is Coming!

Currently we are at a TCCOR 3, which means we should be hit by a typhoon within 48 hours. Definition of a Typhoon: A strong tropical revolving storm of force 12 or higher in the southern hemisphere. Typhoons revolve in a counterclockwise direction. In the northern hemisphere these storms revolve clockwise and are known as hurricanes.
As I was leaving school today I ran into the principal. He told me if the storms continues on as they expect it looks like it will be a TCCOR 1 (typhoon within 12 hours) at 3am on Friday morning. That means the students will not be coming to school. The teachers have to go until it is at a 1C. I could really use a work day though! I am very interested, but a little nervous to see what a typhoon is like. I've heard we may loose our power and the windows may leak. Since we are off base we are not restricted to our house. My friend said that people here were out and about during her first typhoon. She said it was more like a big storm. So we'll see!
I was looking up the weather and it was funny to see the symbol for a typhoon. I don't know if it will still show up, but here is the link for it-

http://weather.kadenaservices.com/update/5day.gif

Here is a little more detail of the levels-

http://weather.kadenaservices.com/update/tccor.htm

I was hoping to make my vonage phone calls this weekend, so we'll have to see if our power is out!

No comments: