Sunday, December 14, 2008

Happy Holidays!

Matt and I had a great Thanksgiving at our friends John and Susan's house. A day full of good food, movies, and relaxing. We spent time talking about different traditions that everyone has back at home. It was a good day.

We are now getting ready for Christmas. This will be the first Christmas Matt and I have ever been away from MN and our families. This year will be tough, but I think we'll get through it. :) This last Friday we went to the 3rd Dental Battalion Christmas party. We got all dressed up, ate some good food, didn't when any prizes, and got to watch some amazing dance-offs. Unfortunately I was not feeling very well so I could not celebrate to the full extent.


We are both really excited to be throwing a birthday bash for Matt on Christmas Eve. We invited a bunch of friends over for an ugly Christmas sweater party. It will be loads of fun! We will be decorating our balcony with lights and other party decorations. We hope the weather is nice so we can spend most of the night out there.

Last weekend we bought a little Christmas tree. It is pretty tiny, but does the job of bringing a little feeling of Christmas to our apartment. It doesn't really feel like the holiday season due to the fact that there is no snow and it is in the 70's everday, but I can't say I'm too jealous of the MN weather right now. We have already recieved packages of gifts from family to put under the tree. I also bought us pretty new stockings to fill for each other. We will have fun making our own traditions this year.

Work is going well for both of us. Matt started working at the Naval hospital on a base that is only 5 minutes from our house. He will be working there for the next three months and is very excited for the short commute. My first graders are getting antsy for Christmas break. We went on a field trip last week to the craft store, where they painted a ceramic boot, and then walked to a pizza place. What a trip! I was exhausted by the time the bell rang that day. I have my first observation by the principal this week. Wish me luck! I have five more days left of work and then two whole weeks off! Matt will have random days off, mixed with some half days of work. We hope to take some tours of the island during that time. Over my break I will have my first dental appointment, in over a year, and it will be with Matt. I'm a little nervous for what he will find! :) I will let everyone know if he is a good dentist!

We hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!




2 comments:

Greg and Melissa said...

What a lovely snapshot of the happenings in Okinawa! Loved the photo of the 3 of you at the end. Your post reminded me that I still need to buy ugly sweaters for Greg and myself! We need to have you two over soon so you can see our place decorated for the holidays!

Sarah said...

My favorite part are the little stocking hangers! I hang mine on the knobs of the chest of drawers in the living room.